Thursday 5 February 2009

A week in the life of a PRINCE2® Trainer

Being a Maven Training Trainer is no piece of cake, given the very best is what this organisation expects from them. Still, they love it and are happy to share their feelings with us. See this piece, by Narinder Dhaliwal, one of our many loved-by-our-delegates Training Consultants.

“This week I was training an open course with 13 delegates from various walks of life. With the current economic situation in mind I found that I had at least four delegates on my course self-funding their training as they were either already out of a job or were going through redundancy! This made me realise just how important this week would be to them. I also had another trainer sitting in on my course observing me for the first two days. Now if you are a trainer you may be able to relate to how I was feeling – very nervous and a bit worried because I had to live up to a certain expectation!

Well, I am pleased to say days one and two went fine with all the delegates pretty OK (apart from exhausted!). Now came day three – the day of my assessment. Oh, yes, I was due for my assessment again and I was shaking like a leaf. No matter how many times anyone tells me that I am good at what I do, and had no need to worry, it made no difference to me. I didn't sleep a wink the night before! What if the assessor found a fundamental flaw in what I was saying or doing? What would happen? I'd essentially have no job!!!! These were just some of the things going through my mind. To top it off the assessor decided to stay for the entire day (up until just before 3pm which is when I would have finished the slide set).

During lunch he had said to me that he was 'happy with me, and he really liked my training style' but 'would like to stay on'. So although I felt a sense of relief, the fact he was still there made that relief turn to doubt, because all I kept thinking was why he had decided to stay on. Is he not sure? Well I won't know the answer to that now because he quietly got up at 2.45pm and left the room.

Thursday and Friday are another chapter and I will tell you about that another time, what I will say before I go is that as trainers it is never easy because there is a constant pressure to deliver excellence!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Share/Save/Bookmark